Bombings in Nairobi, Kenya
and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania --
August 7, 1998
"I pledge to do all I can as Secretary of State to remind the American people of the importance of the work that you do day in and day out on their behalf, and to remind them as well of the hardships and dangers. You are America's best; and you who are Foreign Service Nationals work side by side with us for a world that is more peaceful, prosperous, lawful and free."
August 18, 1998
January 1999: Report of the Accountability Review Boards on the Embassy Bombings in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam on August 7, 1998
- 01/08/99: Statement by Secretary Albright on the Accountability Review Boards Report
- 01/08/99: Special Briefing by the Chairman on the Report
- Admiral William Crowe Sworn in as Chairman of Accountability Review Boards for Embassy Bombings in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam.
- Worldwide Caution in light of the recent U.S. military strikes against terrorist targets in Afghanistan and Sudan, and possible threats to Americans and American interests overseas.
- U.S. Strikes on Terrorist-Related Facilities in Sudan and Afganistan
- $2 Million Reward: Persons wishing to report information about these bombings, or any other terrorist attack, should contact the authorities or the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. In the U.S., contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation or call the U.S. Department of State Diplomatic Security Service at 1-800-HEROES-1 (within U.S. only). Information may also be provided by writing: HEROES, P.O. Box 96781, Washington, D.C. 20090-6781, USA
Updates . . .The Secretary of State:
08/27/98: Remarks on apprehension of suspects in bombings of U.S. embassies, FBI Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
08/18/98: Remarks to U.S. Embassy staff and family members, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
08/18/98: Joint press availability following meeting with Tanzanian Foreign Minister Jakaya Kikwete, Dar es Salaam
08/18/98: Remarks at the Site of the Bombing at U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
08/17/98: Remarks Before Departure to Kenya and Tanzania, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland
08/14/98: Remarks with Colonel Rick Erdman after visit with East African Bombing Victims and Families, Walter Reed Hospital
08/13/98: Remarks with President Clinton and Defense Secretary Cohen at ceremony honoring those who lost their lives in Kenya and Tanzania, Andrews Air Force Base
08/12/98: Remarks at Ramstein Air Force Base, Ramstein, Germany
08/12/98: Remarks prior to departure for Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany
08/11/98: Response to Statement by the African Ambassadors to the U.S.
08/12/98: Secretary Albright travels to Ramstein, Germany
08/10/98: Interview on CBS Evening News, Washington, D.C.
08/10/98: Remarks with Director General Gnehm to State Department Employees
-- $2 Million Reward
08/09/98: Interview on NBC-TV's "Meet The Press" With Tim Russert, Washington, D.C.
08/08/98: Statement on the deaths in Nairobi, Kenya
08/07/98: Statement on bombings in Nairobi and Tanzania
President Clinton Radio Address (8/15/98)
President Clinton, Secretary Albright and Secretary Cohen at ceremony honoring those who lost their lives in Kenya and Tanzania, Andrews Air Force Base (8/13/98)
President Clinton Radio Address (8/8/98)
Remarks by President William Clinton, The White House (8/7/98)
A Proclamation by the President on the bombing incident (8/7/98)
Special Press Briefings:
August 13, 1998
August 11, 1998
August 10, 1998
August 7, 1998
Bombings in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam (8/7/98)
- Global Alert and Consular Services: Worldwide cautions, current travel safety information for specific countries, American citizens services abroad, and visa services abroad.
- 1993 to 1998: Extraditions/renditions of terrorists to the U.S.
- Report of the Secretary of State's Advisory Panel on Overseas Security June 1985 (also known as "The Inman Report")
- Background Notes for Kenya and Tanzania
- 1997 Human Rights Reports for Kenya and Tanzania
- Key Officers at Foreign Service Posts, June 1998: Kenya and Tanzania
Biography of Ambassador to Kenya Prudence Bushnell
Charge to Tanzania John Lange
- Internet web site for Tanzania
- Foreign Terrorist Organizations. Excerpt from the 1997 Patterns of Global Terrorism report.
- FY-99 Country Commercial Guide for Tanzania
- Africa data Dissemination Service
- International School in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam
- Geographic Learning Site Maps of Kenya and Tanzania
- Maps of Africa. CIA maps, courtesy of the Perry Castaneda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin
For additional information on Africa, please visit our web site.
State Department homepage