|Department Spokesman James P. Rubin
Excerpt from Daily Press Briefing:
Update on Four-Party Talks and Process
Washington, DC, November 12, 1997
U.S. Department of State
QUESTION: On North Korea -- on Korea, the Secretary said in her speech today that she expected a plenary meeting to be held next month. I wondered, is this the resumption of the talks in New York that failed in September?
MR. RUBIN: We did have working-level talks in New York on November 10, with participation from South Korea, North Korea, the Chinese and the United States.
The participants had earlier agreed that such talks might be held when useful. Similar talks were held in July. We can't give you a read-out of those discussions, but as we said in late October, the North Koreans have indicated a willingness to resume discussions, and the four parties are exploring how to proceed.
We are still working on trying to make that plenary happen as soon as possible; and that's what we've been discussing in those working groups.
QUESTION: Well, I mean, she seemed a little bit more forward-leaning in her remarks today.
MR. RUBIN: You can interpret --
QUESTION: Saying that it was expected to be happening next month.
MR. RUBIN: Well, far be it from me to contradict the Secretary of State. I'm merely giving you a read-out of what happened in New York at the working level. Her expectation, we hope, will be met by the work that is done through these working-level contacts in New York.
Link to complete November 12, 1997 briefing.
Link to Secretary Albright's November 12 speech.
[end of document]
Return to the DOSFAN Home Page. Return
to the Secretary's Home Page.
This is an official U.S. Government source for information on the WWW. Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.